Educational DIY Mini Grass Houses for Kids
One of the very best ideas you’ll ever come across for getting kids of all ages into the idea of gardening and plant care, these amazing little DIY grass houses are serious fun for the whole family. There’s nothing quite as satisfying as watching the fruits of your labor grow into something wonderful right before your eyes – you’re guaranteed to get just as much of a kick out of it as your kids.
Best of all, the guides we’d like to share with you are all free to use and you won’t need many supplies to get started – fantastic simplicity from start to finish.
- A bunch of ordinary household sponges (unused, standard size, varied colors)
- Magic marker
- Storage container (large, plastic)
- Sharp scissors
- Craft knife
- Fast-growing grass seed
- Optional decorative accents
How will you make the grass house? EASY!
- Make sure the new sponges are clean by rinsing them with plenty of clean water. Wring out, but do not dry fully.
- Draw the shapes to cut on the sponges using the magic marker (see images)
- Cut out the shapes using the scissors.
- To create the room, use a craft knife to cut most of the way through the sponge block to create the angle as shown. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
- Build the house on the inside of the plastic container’s lid.
- Give the house a good spray with a water bottle so that it is damp throughout but not soaking.
- When wet, take a handful of grass seen and sprinkle it all over the sponges.
- Add a little extra spray of water to the seeds and remove excess seeds from the container lid.
- Add the bottom of the container to create a mini greenhouse and position the unit in a warm place with plenty of light. Trim the grass as it grows and water as regularly as needed.